Monday, June 15, 2015

New Quilt Bloggers Blog Hop-I'm a New Bee!

 photo New Bee Button_zpsxaftcdnw.png

I am so blessed to be a part of the 2015 New Bloggers Blog Hop this year!

Last year I was a brand spankin' newbie quilt blogger with just a couple of posts under my belt when I applied on the late side for this hop and I got a big ole fat rejection email. So sad...but I understood and I picked myself up, sat back down in my rolly chair and continued to pluck away at my mighty keyboard for the next year. I eventually loosened up a bit and let my personality and humor flow into my posts and I quickly amassed a sizable and loyal following. 

Well, maybe I'm not that humorous because that last part may or may not be true...Ok, it's not true but a girl can dream. But, anyway, I'm part of the hop this year and I may have to pinch myself to see if I'm really dreaming cuz my Bloglovin graph is going up,up,up!

And for that I owe a big thanks to our faithful leaders,

Cheryl @ Meadow Mist Designs     (My Hive Queen)
Stephanie @ Late Night Quilter

These guys have been so helpful and generous with their time and knowledge. Make sure you go visit their sites and show them some well deserved love. You can say Gayle sent you.

For those of you visiting me for the first time, let me say: 

"THANKS A BUNCH!" 

and now I'll introduce myself.

I'm a Pacific Northwesterner transplanted in the South in 1985. Yep you read that right, 1985. Maybe I need to lose the PNW label after all these years but, gosh darn, I can't help it, I've never felt at home with all the antebellum and chintz charm in these parts.  Other than the predominate southern design style, I really do feel comfortable here. Okay, maybe that's a stretch, I still find the humidity overpowering. I grew up around the sand and tumbleweeds in Southwestern Washington State so I can hardly breath this thick air. Gasp!

I'm a pretty new quilter for my advanced age. I homeschooled my kids from K to 12 and that's about all I could handle during those years. I am not a Super Mom, just the garden variety type mom who couldn't even manage to plant one. So once my youngest was finished I sort of floundered around until my MIL helped me find my quilting destiny. You can read more about that story here


This is one of my favorite finished quilts. I made it for my husband but he rarely gets to use it because I seem to be wrapped in it whenever we laze around the living room. My attachment may be a little unhealthy because I turn the fan on in the summer just so I can snuggle under it. You can read more about this quilt here


I am also so partial to my car that I made a quilt for it. It seems a number of quilter's share my soft spot for VW Rabbits! This post is worth a read if you are a fan.

Here are a few more samples of my work...



Let me share a blogging tip:

Blog readers love to read about foyers so make sure you share yours. I know this because my first reader spike came when I posted this...


But just in case you don't have a foyer to share I'll give you a second tip...

Don't post tiny photos!

I stole that one from Mollie Sparkles. My blogging skills are still in the trial and error phase but that tidbit was an early slap in the face for me.

And a quilting tip...

Get a vintage straight stitch Singer sewing machine. 

I love, love, love my Singer 301A for piecing. So much so that I now have two!

I'm supposed to mention a dream vacation spot here but for me the dream is not where but in what.

What???

I have a confession, Pedal Sew Lightly is my second blog attempt. My first blog was called Ether Bourn and it covers our time with our 2004 Airstream International CCD and our 2005 Airstream Sprinter Westfalia. Both of which are sadly sold and sorely missed. We also have a YouTube channel called FamInACan with some cute videos from our cross country trip in the CCD.

So, my dream is to get another Airstream CCD so that the Hubs and I can bike and camp to our hearts content.

Please visit all my New Bee hop mates too!


Week 1 - Monday June 15th
Gayle @ pedalsewlightly.blogspot.com (That's Me!)

Sarah's the smarty pants with the skills to make that fabulous "New Bees" button at the top of my post. Me, I just copy and paste HTML I find in various locals and close my eyes and pray that my blog doesn't implode when I hit save. 


Week 2  - Monday June 22nd

Week 3 – Monday July 13th

Week 4 – Monday July 22nd


I upgraded my social icons up there in the righthand column this week so feel free to test them out. Just pretend that I'm not trying to trick you into following me. 

Thanks a bunch for stopping by!

41 comments:

  1. I think if I was living in your neighbourhood your husband might find bit more competition for that quilt of his! Great colour choice, and it looks even better draped over the rocker on the porch. In fact, if I lived in your neighbourhood I would probably be found most evenings rocking on that porch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've really enjoyed getting to know you a little more and think you are most definitely humorous! The colours and fabrics you use in your projects really appeal to me. If I had to choose a favourite, I think it would have to be the quilt in the bottom right hand corner (but really, I love them all!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gayle, so nice to read a little bit about you and have a look at all the lovely things you've made. You certainly have made a lot!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buzzed over here from Cheryl's blog. I love your punny blog name!

    I'm a homeschooler (3 kids 16-6) who quilts in her 'copious' spare time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, fellow New Bee! As a southern girl (born and raised) you will never get used to the humidity. You just learn to deal with it and drink the Southern wine of sweet tea! Love all of your pieces! But that porch!! Girl, I would only leave it in the middle of the day to escape the heat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful post, I love your personality that comes through in your writing! Your finishes are very nice, thanks for sharing them (and also linking to where we could read about them in more depth).

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for the tips! I like all of your fun fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have a great writing style and sense of humor, your personality really shines. As someone who grew up in the south / southeast and escaped to the west when I grew up, I can appreciate not being used to the humidity. It definitely surprises me each time I head back to visit my family! And who wouldn't turn on a fan or cool a house just to use a quilt?!? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, I learned such neat things about you! Great, great post Gayle. You are so creative and we can all learn from you. I'm so glad I found your blog.

    I totally agree about the foyer post. For some reason (maybe I'm stalkerish) I love to see where people create and blog, and I really enjoyed that view into your space.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great post Gayle. It made me smile over and over. Hate the humidity as well. I have never lived in the south but did spend a few years in Central PA and thought the humidity was miserable. I can't imagine how much worse it is in the south. Yuk.
    I am looking forward to reading more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hello and nice to meet you. First up, what's a CCD? I'm not sure what you were travelling round the country in!
    I love your style and the quilts and other items you made, so I'm off to look round your blog a little...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The CCD stands for Christopher C. Deam. He's a popular designer and he created a mid-century modern interior for Airstream starting in 2002. You can follow the links in my post to see our CCD.

      Delete
  12. I like your icons! Still have to figure that out...oh for a secretary, lol. Love the shot of your fave quilt, and I get you on the fan on so you can snuggle under it...I had a VW Passat for 12 years, loved her. Had to part with her when we moved. They are terrific vehicles, VWs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that photo of the quilt on the porch, great post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What great pictures! You might just live in the perfect setting for taking pictures of quilts. Enjoyed reading your post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love those little buttons you've put in! You've been hard at work here with all you have to show. We had a GMC years ago, and never did long distance travel in it, but we do have some special memories. I know what you mean. Glad to find out a little bit more about you, and share some time with the New Bloggers.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  16. This was so much fun to read! I feel like I'd like to hang out with you on your porch and quilt with you after reading your post! You have lots of great projects, especially your *husband's* quilt! So nice to meet you through the blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I enjoy seeing your work. I have also made a Lego head mini -- by son didn't like it because he thought the smile was creepy. Ha. Maybe I should've done a Spiderman instead! (no mouth on that one!) And, by the way, I think any mom who Homeschooled must be a Supermom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely intro, your touch of humour addded to it perfectly. I need one of those front porches, how relaxing it must be.

    ReplyDelete
  19. There are fabulous projects and hard to pick only one best favorite.Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Can I just say how proud that I am of you Lil Sis! I can't imagine how you must feel reading these amazing post but I have to say for me there were times I was tearing up 😉. So happy for you that all your hard work is being shared in such a big way. Thanks so much for taking me under your wing and nurturing the bug bite I received for quilting 😉
    Lovingly,
    Big Sis

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Gayle, I'm also a New Bee. I must be a southern girl at heart, because I love your porch! Your Lego Minifigure minis are very cute, Spidey and Iron Man. We are also looking into getting a RV. Maybe not an Airstream, but it has to have a spot for my sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this post. Your sense of humour just shines through it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks so much for all the nice comments!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You are hilarious!!! Hmmm...I moved to Tennessee from Portland Oregon 20 years ago...I miss that place. But I love southern weather. It's never ever to hot for a quilt! Love your quilts and other goodies! This blog hop is so fun- meeting so many people and finding great blogs like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I haven't resorted to turning on a fan, but I keep a quilt on the sofa year round and have used it in the summer. Thanks for letting us getting to know you better.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love that quilt you made your husband. I'd have a hard time sharing it as well. Such a great, bold palette! And the back... our guild would call it "the other front." Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Gayle, I love the quilt you made for your husband. Beautiful work! Thanks for the tips, I love straight stitch machines. I usually sew on my straight stitch Juki (TL 2010Q), but I have my mom's old Singer and that thing is a workhorse. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a porch! And the quilt on it is beautiful! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I swipe the quilt I made for my husband too! Actually, he takes mine all the time too since it is larger. He doesn't even care that it's pink! he's color blind, he probably thinks it is tan. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Gayle, hope you're enjoying the blog hop. I was new last year and it was invaluable. You have some great quilts. I'm a gal living in Florida but had the fortune to live in the PNW for 2 years (in Seattle) and oh, how I miss it. My husband is determined that we need to figure out how to spend our winters/school time in Florida and our summers in Seattle. I wish. It's great that you airstream blog. Some friends of our recently sold theirs (they completely refurbished it and lived/worked in it while traveling around the country (http://snowmads.com/category/airstream-renovation/) If anyone would appreciate this, you would. If you don't mind me being so bold, I'd love to make a suggestion on your blog. Somewhere on your main landing page (maybe above your photo, where it says "hello" ) also include your first name. I couldn't find your name anywhere easily except leaving the blog post to your "about me" section. It just makes it easier for your readers to connect with you when identifying a name with your photo. Just a suggestion though.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I haven't seen your foyer yet but I love your front porch! ha. I like that quilt too, great fabric line. Such bright, fun projects :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love your writing voice. I'm working on getting myself a vintage machine just looking for one local. I need a workhorse that I can feel secure in working on my husbands thick military stuff without breaking something.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Gayle, I really love your post and your humor! Your work is fabulous and I especially love your Persimmon Sweet Tea quilt and the quilting you did on it. That quilt has been a favorite of mine since you originally posted about it. Also, I "tested" your buttons, lol. They work great! Oh, and thanks for the shout out about the New Bees button!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Beautiful quilts! My boys would love those super hero minis!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love your quilts, and your writing style is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh, that porch was just made for showing off quilts!! It was so much fun reading your post and getting to know a bit more about you with a sampling of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I also love your quilt on the rocking chair. Draping it on the rocking chair is such a cool way to display and photograph a quilt. I hope someday soon to start posting bigger and better pics on my blog. Your mosaic of some of your other projects is also very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  38. That's a lot of beautiful quilty pictures! I love your husband's quilt, and I can understand why you want to use it so often. I had never thought of turning on a fan so I could snuggle with a quilt...I'll have to remember that little trick!

    ReplyDelete
  39. So super welcome to the 2015 New Blog Hoppers! I love this and I LOVE your blog name! Too cute! With that being said, your work is very amazing and for being such a 'new' quilter for your supposedly advanced age (you're pretty fiesty), I would never think anything! That goes to show anyone and everyone has their own level of success! I think you're doing wonderfully and I am so glad to be part of this hive! Sorry this is so late on me catching up... ack! I can't wait to get to know you more throughout the hop!

    *Stopping by from the 2015 New Blogger Blog Hop - New Bee's

    ReplyDelete
  40. You have so many great projects! I really like your fabric choices, and I can see why your husband has competition for his quilt!

    ReplyDelete